HOME | Mayweather vs Marquez News | Mayweather vs Marquez Videos | Mayweather vs Marquez Pictures


Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Floyd fighting for fame


Floyd Mayweather Jr says the chance to extend his unbeaten record and boxing legacy is the major driving force for his eagerly-anticipated fight with Juan Manuel Marquez this month.

Mayweather will face the tough Mexican at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on September 19, as he makes his big return to the ring after a two-year retirement.

Having not been in the ring since flooring Ricky Hatton in December 2007, Mayweather now puts his 39-0 unbeaten record on the line against Marquez.

The 32-year-old says that protecting his unbeaten record and maintaining his boxing legacy are big factors for him taking the fight.

"It's very important for me," Mayweather said during a conference call.

Hall of Fame

"I am just happy to say that I'm going down as a Hall of Famer and it's extremely important for me to go out there to perform well and dominate.

"I've got to go out there and be smart, be intelligent and listen to my uncle Roger," he added, referring to his coach Roger Mayweather. "If I do that, we will come out 'A' okay."

The flamboyant Mayweather insists he will not feel any extra pressure on his return, adding that he is always the one under pressure when he fights as the favourite.

"When you go out there with an undefeated record, there is no pressure on these fighters because they have nothing to lose," he added.

"If Marquez gets beat in 12 rounds or he gets knocked out, they are still going to love him in his country because he had the chance to face the best. They will say: 'You lost but you lost to the best.'

"But in the US it doesn't work like that so we have to work that much harder to stay on top. If I win, it's normal. If a guy gives me a tough fight or even comes close to winning, that's abnormal. Everybody expects me to dominate."

Feeling sharp
A five-division world champion and undoubtedly one of the greatest boxers of any era, Mayweather is feeling sharp in his training and will have no ring rust after his break.

"I don't think a two-year layoff is going to affect me," he said. "I feel fast and strong and my timing is there. We are in the gym every day and we are looking very sharp.

"I feel the same way as I felt before I left. Actually I feel a little better. I think the break helped because I haven't had a break since '87 so my body had a chance to heal. I feel really good."

Although supremely confident as always, complacency will not be a problem for Mayweather as he rates Marquez highly.

"He is Mexico's numero uno," he said. "He's one hell of a fighter with over 50 wins and champion in more than just one weight class. Believe me, Marquez is not going to lay down.

"There's going to be blood, sweat and tears on September 19."

Source: skysports.com

No comments:

Post a Comment