HOME | Mayweather vs Marquez News | Mayweather vs Marquez Videos | Mayweather vs Marquez Pictures


Friday, May 29, 2009

Mayweather Won't Bow To Pacquiao, Hits Marquez Critics

If negotiations ever come about, Floyd Mayweather Jr. is not planning to cave in and give Manny Pacquiao the lion's share of the money. Viewed as the richest fight in boxing, most insiders see the monetary negotiations as the biggest issue with making the fight come together in the future.

Mayweather faces Juan Manuel Marquez on July 18 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Marquez is moving up from 135 to 144-pounds for the fight. Mayweather is coming down a few pounds from 147. Most critics have said Marquez is too small.

Speaking with BoxingScene.com's Luis Sandoval, Mayweather said the critics are just making excuses.

"I'm always in a no-win situation. Every time I fight a guy they say the guy is over the hill or I'm too big or I was too fast. They are always going to have an excuse. Marquez is a good fighter. To beat a fighter like that it takes hard work, dedication and preparation and belief in a good team, and I have a great team," Mayweather said.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, promoter of Pacquiao, has gone on the record several times and takes the position that his fighter deserves more money than Mayweather. Speaking with BoxingScene, Mayweather says the money will have to swing in his direction and he sees no reason for Pacquiao to get more money.

"I don't have to go out there and chase fighters. I earned my spot. I beat Oscar De La Hoya two years ago, just like I beat Ricky Hatton two years ago," Mayweather said.

"You just ask yourself, in 2007 I total grossed $250 million in one hour. And with my fight with Hatton, Hatton was never on pay-per-view before and my numbers with Hatton did better than Pacquiao's numbers with Hatton. That's for Leonard Ellerbe and Bob Arum to negotiate who gets the lion's share."

Source: boxingscene.com

No comments:

Post a Comment