HOME | Mayweather vs Marquez News | Mayweather vs Marquez Videos | Mayweather vs Marquez Pictures


Monday, May 11, 2009

Marquez Vows "I Will Beat Floyd Mayweather Jr"

WBA/WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez is already training hard at the Romanza Gym in Mexico City, taking his first steps in camp to prepare for the biggest fight of his career. Marquez moves up to 143-pounds to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr on July 18 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The calm that prevailed yesterday at the Romanza Gym was interrupted by the entrance of several television cameras and a herd of reporters. Reason: Juan Manuel Marquez was to start his training with a view to meeting against Floyd Mayweaher of July 18 in Las Vegas.

Marquez sees some flaws in Mayweather that he plans to exploit. During last week's press conference to announce the fight, Marquez told BoxingScene.com that he was pretty confident of an upset. Mayweather's physical attributes don't appear to be a issue either.

"I'm positive that I'm going to beat Mayweather. It's true that he has a two inch height advantage, a little bit more reach and he is a great fighter - but I know how is beatable, and I will do just that on July 18 in Las Vegas," Marquez told ESTO.

Marquez had told BoxingScene that he planned to keep his camp in Mexico for the full duration, but because of the swine flu epidemic in the country, he may head off to Big Bear, California at some point. He knows the public has him as a heavy underdog. It doesn't bother him. He likes the role of the underdog.

"This is not the first time that I'm the betting underdog. For example, I encountered Manny Pacquiao twice, and in both fights he was the big favorite. Even though I lost the rematch by one point and had a draw in the other, I am sure that I won both fights. Pacquiao said that he hoped to fight Mayweather in November, because Floyd is going to win me, but [that won't happen]. In November I will be his opponent," Marquez said.

Source: boxingscene.com

No comments:

Post a Comment