HOME | Mayweather vs Marquez News | Mayweather vs Marquez Videos | Mayweather vs Marquez Pictures


Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mayweather-Marquez LA presser!


With the recent announcement of Floyd Mayweather Jr. coming out of retirement, it has become a big buzz with boxing fans not only that he coming back to the sport but also that he is immediately putting his undefeated record on the line by facing the dangerous highly touted five-time world champion in three weight divisions Juan Manuel Marquez in a 12 round bout entitled “Number One/Numero Uno.” The first stop of the media tour for the mega fight took place Monday in downtown Los Angeles to announce their battle taking place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV on July 18. “That’s right. I’m back and you can all get ready for another chapter of the Mayweather experience!,” said Mayweather. “I told my CEO Leonard Ellerbe from the start that I wanted to come back fighting the best fighters out there and Juan Manuel Marquez is one of the best in boxing today.”

When asked what made him come back to the sweet science he simply answered.

“I missed the sport.”

“I am not overlooking Marquez so I hope he doesn’t overlook me either. Just because I have been retired doesn’t mean I will be rusty,” proclaimed ‘Money’ Mayweather. “I am not here to rate myself. I let the fans and the media to decide that.”

There were rumors circulating the Internet about Mayweather getting a high $15 million dollar payday for his return, negotiations with Don King for future bouts and a possible fight with Manny Pacquiao.

“It doesn’t matter how much I make. We fight for checks not bragging rights.”

“Yeah! I talked to Don King, he’s a well-respected guy. It’s not a crime to talk to someone.”

“Manny is good but people are forgetting Erik Morales was able to beat him. He has gotten knocked out before so anything is possible but right now I am focusing on Marquez, he’s a top notch fighter. This is no tune up fight.”

In the era of great Mexican fighters such as Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales, Mexico City’s Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs) has made it clear over the last few years that he may be the greatest of the bunch.

“This is the most difficult fight for me, but is not impossible,” said Marquez as he addressed the media. “I am training in the mountains of Mexico, this is one of the strategies we’re using to help with my weight. I am also lifting rocks to build strength.”

When asked what techniques one can use against the undefeated (39-0, 25 KOs) Mayweather Jr.

“Luis Castillo was one of the few who almost defeated Mayweather. Nacho Beristain is studying the fight and we have determined that being aggressive and gaining speed is the key to beat Floyd.”

“Floyd is the number one pound for pound and that is why I agreed to fight him at welterweight. I am very happy with the results of my career and I am happy for this opportunity but most of all I am confident I could beat Mayweather.”

Tickets go on sale Friday, May 22 at 10 a.m. and are priced at $1,000, $750, $600, $300 and $150. Tickets can be purchase at all Ticketmaster outlets and MGMGrand.com.

Source: fightnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment