HOME | Mayweather vs Marquez News | Mayweather vs Marquez Videos | Mayweather vs Marquez Pictures


Wednesday, August 19, 2009

MAYWEATHER UNDERCARD REVEALED


A mouthwatering undercard for next month's Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez bill has been announced.

The chief support will be provided by Chris John and Rocky Juarez, who will meet in a rematch at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on September 19.

The duo's first fight in February was one of the best of the year which ended in a controversial draw. Again, the unbeaten John will have his WBA featherweight title on the line.

Indonesian John said: "I thought I won our first fight but now I am going to show how much I appreciate being champion and beat him again.

"It has always been my desire to fight in Las Vegas and on the big fight cards. On September 19 I will be able to do this and show the whole world that I am one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the sport today."

Houston native Juarez hopes to make the most of his second chance.

"I am very fortunate to have another chance at a world title and a chance to show the world why I feel like I did enough to win the first fight," he said.

"I am getting older and therefore it becomes even more important to reach my long-standing goal of becoming a world champion."

Meanwhile, the WBO's interim lightweight title will be up for grabs when Michael Katsidis fights Vicente Escobedo, while former welterweight world champion Zab Judah faces Antonio Diaz in a 10-rounder.

Judah had initially been pencilled in to fight Briton Matthew Hatton, but the fight collapsed due to a dispute over what weight it would be staged at.

Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar de la Hoya, whose company is promoting the bill, said: "In these three fights we have two world championships, three current or former world champions, three Olympians and an exciting rematch of one of this year's greatest fights.

"As a fan, I can't wait to see these fights and the fans will not want to miss this card."

The headline fight sees former pound-for-pound king Mayweather make his ring return after almost two years in retirement.

Source: sportinglife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment