HOME | Mayweather vs Marquez News | Mayweather vs Marquez Videos | Mayweather vs Marquez Pictures


Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Marquez no match for Mayweather—Floyd Sr.

MANILA – Trainer and former fighter Floyd Mayweather, Sr. proclaimed that his son, Floyd Jr., is still the best boxer in the world.

“Ain’t nobody beat him,” Floyd Sr. told David Tyler of DoghouseBoxing.com. He added that his son is the best “because I taught him everything when he was a kid.”

“Name me one boxer’s son that did better than his father. Only my boy and that’s because I didn’t spoil him when he was little,” he continued. “He worked hard and I taught him to always stay in shape.”

He, however, admitted that he is not training Floyd Jr. for his comeback fight against Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez on September 19 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

“I am here on my accord representing myself and of course offering advice to my son and brother if necessary,” he said.

His brother, Roger, is the one training Floyd Jr.

Floyd Sr. is confident that his son would triumph in his much-anticipated comeback bout, saying that Marquez does not have a change against “Pretty Boy Floyd.”

“I’ve been watching a lot of Marquez fights and he has good boxing skills just not good enough to beat my boy,” he reasoned. “My son will hit and move and roll his punches the way I taught him.”

He said Marquez may be fast but his son is faster.

“He has good speed but he’s not as fast as my son.”

The “Number One/Numero Uno: Mayweather vs Marquez” was originally slated on July 18. It was postponed because Mayweather sustained a rib injury while training.

Not worried about Pacquiao

The elder Mayweather went on to say that he knows how to beat pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

“Speed is nothing if you can’t find something to hit,” he noted.

“You counter that speed with constant movement, make him come to you, turn him so he is always lunging when he throws the left, that’s how to beat Pacquiao,” he declared.

Because of this, Floyd Sr. said is not worried about the Filipino boxing icon’s speed and power if ever a Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown will take place.

“That’s exactly what I told Ricky Hatton during training camp,” remarked Floyd Sr. who trained Hatton for the “Battle of East and West” where Pacquiao scored a second round knockout victory last May 2.

However, Floyd Sr. said Hatton refused to heed his advicem hence the loss.

Prior to Pacquiao’s sensational knockout of Hatton in Round 2, the “Pacman” knocked down the Briton twice in the opening round.

Source: abs-cbnnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment